Download the COVID Alert SA app today
By downloading and using the COVID Alert SA app, you become a part of a powerful digital network of app users who choose to work together for the benefit of everyone in the app community while all enjoying complete privacy and anonymity. App users understand their exposure to COVID-19 and help others to do the same. We can all work together to curb the spread of COVID-19 and, ultimately, to save lives.
The app is available for Android and iOS.
Let’s work together to Stay Safe. Join the COVID Alert SA app community and help South Africa to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Contact tracing is a process used to slow the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19. Contact tracing means working with people who contract COVID-19 to identify their ‘close contacts’ – that means people they have been in direct contact with over the past 14 days and possibly infected with COVID 19 as a result. Doing this manually takes time, and there’s always a risk of missing close contacts.
Without the help of technology, finding those people who are close contacts of someone who has tested positive for COVID 19 is tough.
COVID Alert SA makes contact tracing happen quickly and efficiently. This app helps us to work together to stop the spread of COVID-19 using Bluetooth contact-tracing technology – which simply tracks close contact (proximity) between smartphones, and not the actual location of the smartphones.
How does the COVID Alert SA app work?
When an app user anonymously reports to the app that they have COVID‑19, the COVID Alert SA app sends notifications to those devices that were in close contact with this person’s device. These exposure notifications warn those app users that they could potentially have been exposed to the virus. App users are guided as to what to do next to optimise their wellbeing and prevent the spread of the COVID‑19 virus to others. At no stage does the app reveal the users’ identities. Confidentiality and anonymity are core to the app’s contact-tracing process.
COVID Alert SA protects your privacy and security at all times
COVID ALERT SA:
- DOES keep app user identities private at all times
- DOES protect app user security at all times
COVID ALERT SA:
- DOES NOT use GPS
- DOES NOT track your location
- DOES NOT ask you for or ever store your name, surname or other identifying details
- DOES NOT require access to contacts on your phone
- DOES NOT require access to your health information
The COVID Alert SA app is the only contact-tracing app approved by the South African government.
What’s in it for you?
As a COVID Alert SA app user you benefit in multiple ways:
- Understand your COVID‑19 exposure risk when you receive an exposure notification alert. That’s how you quickly know you’ve had contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID‑19.
- Are guided as to the next steps you should take. People who have been potentially exposed to COVID‑19 can choose to self-quarantine and; therefore, help to curb the further spread of the virus. COVID Alert SA also guides you to monitor your symptoms and access healthcare if you need it.
- Keep your loved ones and those in your wider community safe from COVID‑19 – particularly those who are considered to be in the high-risk category for severe illness if they contract COVID‑19 (such as those who live with chronic illness, who are immunocompromised, cancer survivors and people older than 60).
- Ultimately contribute to avoiding a resurgence of COVID‑19 in South Africa, protecting South Africa’s healthcare services and vulnerable people, and ending the pandemic.