Add some flavour to your day with this tasty lemon poppy seed oats muffin recipe. Each muffin is deliciously moist, a burst of citrus flavour accompanied by the sound of poppy seeds crackling in your mouth. The oats add some extra fibre and wholesomeness to the muffins.
This lemon poppy seed oats muffin recipe is based on the traditional recipe we all love and know but modified to reduce the number of calories per serving. So, if you are conscious of your calorie intake, you would be happy to know that each muffin contains only 152 calories.
These muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast on the go or an afternoon snack. It only takes 45 minutes to prepare them. You can even double the quantities so that you have enough to serve your guests.
Also, if you would like to make the muffins gluten-free, simple change the flour for a gluten-free alternative. Likewise, for a vegan alternative, swap the milk for a plant-based alternative.
Store the muffins for a couple of days at room temperature in an airtight container. You can also freeze the muffins for about 2 months for later use.
Lemon Poppy Seed Oats Muffins Recipe
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour (or gluten-free alternative)
- ⅓ cup flaxseed flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, extract
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk, skimmed (or plant based alternative)
- ⅓ cup olive oil (choose a mild flavour profile, or substitute avocado oil)
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cups.
- Mix the milk and oats together in a medium bowl and allow to stand for 30 minutes until the oats have softened slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the poppy seeds, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, oil, honey, egg, and vanilla.
- Add all the wet ingredients (including the oats) to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The mixture should be slightly runny – if it is too thick, add some extra milk.
- Fill each muffin cup until just over ¾ full, and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Nutritional Information (per serving):
Energy: 636 kJ (152 calories)